Friday, January 6, 2012

Narduzzi Can Stay, But It'll Cost You a Baker

It was announced a few minutes ago that Pat Narduzzi has agreed to stay at MSU. This is good squishee for all of us. He got his players, he has his scheme, things are looking good for him. Good enough that he should stay and take the right Head Coaching job when he is ready to move on. I realize that in the end all MSU has done is retain a current coach while giving him a raise that'll pay for a few piano lessons for the kids, but this is probably the biggest win of the upcoming offseason.

Mark Hollis tweeted moments ago: "Great to have Coach Narduzzi at MSU. He is ready to be a head coach at a big time program. That will be his next move. He is all Spartan." Translation: He got paid and will only leave for the right HC gig. Glad you're back Pat, figure out how you plan to replace Jerel Worthy. Welcome home.

Edwin Baker


In terms of karma, there was a small correction in The Force immediately preceding the Duzzer press release. Edwin Baker announced he will forgo his senior season and pursue the NFL. This decision has been hinted at for a couple of days on message boards and twitter, but only tonight became official. I know what you're thinking, and I'm thinking it too.  This is like the Island on Lost or something, if one can stay, one must go. Survivor maybe? I don't know I'm getting my TV all mixed up.

Baker was replaced by Bell as the starter mid-season. The twittaz indicate Dantonio encouraged Baker to stay. Rexrode wrote that Baker did not consult with the NFL's Advisory Committee. In short, Baker was not coming back to MSU, whether it was because of diminished carries, the emergence of Bell, or something else. Baker's timer had gone off.

Vague Prediction-Like Substance

I said a few times this year I thought Baker was more physically gifted than Bell, that's still true. What Baker lacked and Bell had was vision. In the pros, I think it's more likely that when Baker runs to where the hole should be, that it will open up for him. However, I still think it's VERY unlikely he gets drafted and so he'd have a lot of work to do to get to the field in the first place. I hope I'm wrong and we're all laughing about how Baker broke Barry Sanders records in 2025.

Anyway, I'm really hoping for a very boring MSU football weekend. MSU has had a lot of ups and downs this week.

2 comments:

  1. Baker isn't ready for the pros yet! He won't be good enough yet to run witht these NFL defensive players! But best of luck to you and your career at the next level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, good luck to the young man, but unless he ended up in Early 2000's denver, I don't see a lot happening for him.

    Thank you for the memories, Edwin.

    ReplyDelete